Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shiso


Have you ever tasted Shiso? Me neither, until about 3yrs ago in a tiny sushi restaurant in West Seattle. Weird,... I thought, but interesting. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. I still can't decide. A few weekends ago at our local farmers market, the apple cider guy had this cute little plant on a side table. It was being completely ignored, so I made my move. I snuck in, picked it up and sniffed it. HMMM, this is it! It's that strange herb? that I had tasted a few years back... I think. I sniffed some more. Caught in action, the apple cider guy walked on over and suggested I pinch off a leaf and taste it. Man!!! It makes me so nervous when they offer me taste tests! Really it does, couldn't tell you why. So... I declined. I quickly tried to walk away. Sometimes I get a bit shy, but I was still so curious. So I asked... 'what do YOU use this with?' He didn't have any great ideas, but told me he sometimes cooks it with rice. I couldn't resist the temptation of having my very own Shiso plant, which he told me grows into a nice size bush. In the sun it will grow big, in the shade it will be more flavorful.
I have no idea what I'll use it for! The novelty of having something unique and different in my garden got the best of me, as it usually does.

4 comments:

Fatima said...

Never heard of it before! Interesting. Where are you going to plant it? ... also you should check my blog (nothing special but, just posting about life).

Heather said...

wow, very interesting and never heard of it, but really cool to have something unusual in the garden...how fun!

Heather said...

by the way, I forgot to mention that I dig the photography!

Unknown said...

Use it anywhere you would use basil. It's good in salads, or in Asian noodle dishes.