Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Childhood

Several weeks ago my sister was helping my dad sell off some of his furniture and belongings in preparation for his move back to his home state of Florida. While in the backyard shed, she discovered a box full of books from our childhood. She showed up at my house with this box, and we began to dig through it. Wow, these books really took us back. Noah dived right in and began thumbing through the pages, begging for someone to read him a book. About half of them are in German, so those I cannot read, but we've read through all the English books several times.

One night, after everyone had gone to bed, I couldn't sleep so I decided to look through this box again. I found several 'report cards' from our grade school days in an American school in Germany. Here are a few comments, Grades 1-3.

Grade 1: -Eva is a capable student and shows much potential.
-Eva is making progress, at times she can be a bit rough with other students. I'm sure she'll improve if you speak to her. (YIKES)

Grade 2: -Eva is a very good worker. She takes great pride in her work. (Ahh redemption)

Grade 3:-Eva did not study for Science and did not complete homework. (uh ohhh)

Thinking back, I can remember how much I loved school, at least I loved having friends, and playing on the playground during recess. Class time often felt torturous. Having to sit still, and not being able to talk to my neighbor was tough. So tough that I just couldn't help myself, and often got lectured about talking too much. Is there such a thing? MMMM not in my book. =)

4 comments:

Heather said...

what a treasure, Eva! I love favorite books from childhood. And isn't that neat you still have some of your report cards...I'm sick...I had a whole memory book with class photos, report cards for every grade and all... and recently found it destroyed,wet with mildew, not salvageable at all!! After all the years that my mother kept those treasures, due to my careless storing I lost all those memories.

Marci said...

Talks too much, hmm never saw that on my report cards, hahahah yea right!

What great treasures!

Fatima said...

So I'm thinking you can translate some of the stories with few words online, then print out the English version and tape it into the books... that might work?

Fatima said...

Oh and yeah... what treasures. You really should go to Steve's and dig through the other boxes. There are other treasures that I heartbreakingly had to leave behind.