Monday, April 16, 2007

Being a Grown-up

As my mother likes to say, 'Eva, you're no longer a Spring Chicken!'
Well... UMMM, excuse me, I still feel like one!

Yes, yes, yes, it's true, I turned the big 3-0 last year. When I was in my early 20's attending college, (and being very grown-up) planning my career and furthering my education, I never dreamed that I would marry Jaime and that we would have two children together. No Way. Not me! After all, I didn't even really like kids all that much. Yes, it's true. I didn't want to be a mother, or a wife. I just wanted to do what I thought was expected of me. Get an education, get a job, and fall into the daily grind of going to work each and every weekday! Check! After two years of this, I was sure there was more to life. To MY life anyhow.

Today, I am a stay-at-home mom. Not the most exciting prospect to some, but for me, on most days (no not every day!) I love my life! Love it, love it, love it! Motherhood has taught me two very important things.

  1. Slow down to enjoy and appreciate the small things in life.
  2. Learn to listen to my inner self, what really makes me happy.

I love having the freedom to do what I want. For once, I am not afraid to do what I want. Isn't that what being a grown-up is really about? To do what truly makes you happy? Granted with 2 young children, some things are on hold, but only temporarily. I have learned patience, and to put others first. My life is rich and full... full of sacrifice. I am happy, happier than ever. I'm not sure I will ever feel like a grown-up, but if things continue on this road, I look forward to further exploration of what I want to be when I grow-up. Making sure I am a spring chicken FOREVER! At least in spirit.

I try to do something every day that makes me feel like a kid again.

  • Eating a gigantic spoonful of Nutella before breakfast.
  • Riding skateboards with Noah.
  • Laughing for no reason at all
  • Dancing with Noah and Bella

Oh, I could go on forever. If this is what being a grown-up is all about...I'm glad I'm finally here!

3 comments:

Marci said...

I love it Eva, I want to play too!

The one thing that I do forget being mom and stay at home mom is sometimes I need to take care of me. I'm trying to get better at that.

I have dance with Brandi, Olivia, and now Jagger. The best part is when we all dance together.

Heather said...

Being a grown up is great when we're not "all grown up" and too serious. I agree with you Eva!
It's good not to be afraid and to be ourselves especially as a mother...having fun with our kids and not being the "perfect mother", but being the best mother, just right for our kids. I think when our children sense that we are comfortable with ourselves and we can have fun being a "grown up" then they will be comfortable with who they are and who God created them to be.

P~ said...

Yeah! I love it! I totally agree. I will continue to enjoy acting like a kid as long as I can. I take my kids skateboarding at the local skate park every weekend, and skate right along with them! I can't think of a better bonding time!
Good for you.