Friday, February 23, 2007

Green Thumb

It's warming up and things are sprouting all over the yard, especially the daffodils. I'm so excited about getting a garden started this year! I finally ordered my seeds last night, after finishing my research on what will grow well in this region. I DO NOT have a green thumb... so I am crossing my fingers, counting my lucky stars, and hoping and praying that SOMETHING will grow. I'm so nervous, that I've begun to procrastinate. I tend to do this when I'm nervous. Instead I just hold on to a vision of what it is going to look like, without ever doing anything to make my vision happen!

As I was ordering the seeds, Jaime comes over to me and says, "You're ordering ALL those seeds???!!! Wow, you better give me some time in the yard this weekend to prepare the yard." He's right, I need him to rake more leaves, clean up old chopped blackberry bushes, and turn the earth. As crazy as it sounds, I think he enjoys yard work. He loves to work with his hands... I cherish the weekends, and look forward to 'Eva time', but this will be worth it!

Here is a list of what I hope to grow!

*Cabbage
*Onion
*Garlic
*Beets
*Potato
*Broccoli
*Cauliflower
*Pumpkin
*Carrot
*Corn
*Kale
*Lettuce
*Rhubarb
*Gourds (ornamental)
*Tomato
*Watermelon
*Strawberry
*Raspberry
*Blueberry

Wish me luck! I know I am going to need it.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like fun!

Waves and Wasabi said...

Do some planting for me I wish I had a home to do that in now ;(
I can't wait to see the pictures of the first sproutings!

Crunchy Chicken said...

Those are all great things to grow around here. A few hints (in case you didn't know):

*tomato plants need to be transplanted -- you can't sow the seeds directly outside

*potatoes need to be buried fairly deep and mounded during the season so they stay underground

*raspberries should be contained as they're a bramble and will grow all over the place

*same thing with strawberries - they send out runners

Good luck! It's hard to go wrong :)