Sunday, July 8, 2007

Farmers Market

I absolutely love this time of the year. All of my favorite fruits are in season. Berries and cherries, as well as peaches, nectarines and apricots. I think I could live off of fruit alone in these warm and sunny months. Okay, maybe I'll have to throw in some whip cream or ice cream...but that would do it. There is plenty to choose from at our local farmers market. Here is a picture of this weekends yummy treats. Well, what is left of it.
We purchased:
-red & green gooseberries (in the green carton)
-a bag of apricots
-peaches
-rainier cherries (so so so sweet and delicious)
-goat yogurt & chevre

I'm saving some of my gooseberries seeds, and will attempt to grow my own. I've read that they are easy to grow, so we'll see.

I'm not a big fan of goat products... ewww. But, I'm always up for trying something new, or trying something again, just to see if my tastes have changed, which they do all the time. The chevre from a local farmer (Port Madison Farm on Bainbridge) is outstanding! I love it so much that I recently broke down and purchased some at my grocery store in a desperate attempt to satisfy my craving for this rich and creamy cheese. HMMM, not the same... at all! I don't know what it is, but the store bought chevre is just not the same, although it is much cheaper. Soooo, now I just wait for the farmers market on the weekend and indulge myself.

What are some of your favorite summer eats?

3 comments:

Heather said...

We love smoothies. A combination that we use all the time are frozen strawberries that we buy in bulk, frozen banana, apple juice and I like to add yogurt (brown cow brand) and sometimes when I'm making it for myself I'll add soy protein powder for the extra energy that I need during the day.

Fatima said...

Yum, delicious! I went to the store in Philly yesterday and Washington State (highlighted on the sign) Bing Cherries were $4.99/lb and Rainier Cherries were $6.99/lb. And those were sale prices! So eat lots for me as I won't be enjoying them here. :-)

Marianna said...

I love tomatoes in the summer! I just found your blog through A posse ad esse. Great food ideas.