Friday, April 6, 2007

Garden update

I have spent the better part of last week planting and further cleaning our yard. Whew!! I have planted
-red cabbage
-white & purple cauliflower
-broccoli
-red & yellow onions
-purple & rainbow carrots
-beets
I'm such a gardening novice, but hey, this has been fun. It will be even more fun if and when something starts to sprout. Assuming the squirrels and cats don't get to the garden first.


Even Noah got in on the action. He begged and begged to please plant something. So, I sectioned off part of the garden as his own personal space. I was originally going to make his garden on the opposite side of the yard and plant the summer goodies he wanted there, with him. But he just couldn't wait. So, I put a few seeds of onion, kale, beet and carrot into a small cup, gave him a quick planting demonstration, and let him have at it!

First he planted

Then he watered

Whew, that was hard work!


I had to extend the boundaries of his garden, because he requested more space. Shortly after he lost interest. At the end of the day, he still had most of his seeds, (I gave him way too many) so I suggested we save them for another day. I went inside to bathe Bella, and start dinner. When I called Noah in, he brought in a 'empty' seed cup. HMMM.. I asked if he had been hard at work gardening again. 'Yes', he said. 'I dug a big hole, and put them all inside!'


3 comments:

Marci said...

I want photos of what pops up, hehe that is to cute!

Rachel said...

I was older than Noah when I had my first garden, but it was still very exciting! I had sweet potatoes, sunflowers, popcorn, and zinnias. I wasn't as excited when it came to weeding the garden, though, and my dad took that opportunity to teach me about grace when he weeded it for me. We haven't been able to plant anything here-- it's 30 degrees today. Global warming weeeeee!

Crunchy Chicken said...

Cool! I'm glad you got some stuff planted. You can try throwing some floating row covers over everything until it sprouts and establishes themselves to keep out the critters and the birds from digging things up.