Monday, April 2, 2007

15 Years!

15 Years ago yesterday, April Fool's Day, my family moved from sunny Southern California to tropical Hawaii. I was 15 yrs old, finishing up my freshman year of high School. Leaving behind my first 'real boyfriend', and two best friends was no easy task. In fact, I did not want to move, even if it was to Hawaii. I started to plan my escape. My step-father was in the Army, and we moved around quite a bit, every 1-3 yrs, and I had had enough!
Needless to say, I did not go through with my plan. (yes I really had one, and I think it would have worked, temporarily anyway) My mother was a pro at moving our family, but if I had tried a Houdini stunt, it would have caused complete chaos.

It took well over a year to finally get used to living there. Hawaii is very different from any other place I had ever lived. There was the heat, the roaches, learning to understand pidgin, and being a minority for the first time in my life. I did not fit in with the locals, I was after all a haole, but eventually made friends and discovered the ocean.

I love the ocean! I miss the ocean. I really really miss the ocean. I wish I could go for a swim or go diving or just stick my toes in the ocean. I miss the ocean breeze, miss kissing Jaime and tasting the salt on his lips. I miss going for 'shave ice' at the end of a day at the beach. I miss sand being in my bed, and stuck to my scalp. I miss digging sand out of Noah's ears and nose. I miss licking lilikoi (passionfruit), and crunching the seeds. I miss waking up to the smell of tropical rain entering my bedroom in the middle of the night. I will never forget the smell of sugar cane burning during harvest.

Aaahhhh, I miss Hawaii.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Holy Moly I'd miss it too! Isn't it odd to be able to remember things that happened 10 and 15 years ago? I guess that's a blessing of a full life.

Eva said...

Rachel,
We moved here (Seattle) 2yrs ago from Hawaii, but yes, it is weird how we remember things from so long ago... just as if it were yesterday.

Marci said...

Joey and I were just talking about how we missed the warm beach. We do miss somethings and shave ice is definatley one of them ;0)

Fatima said...

15 yrs ago! Yes... I guess it's true. Your descriptions brought back memories for me too...