Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Junkie

I am a self proclaimed junk food junkie! I've been like this for as long as I can remember, and this past Christmas my mother commented on how even as a young girl, I loved my sweets. I go through phases, at times I do pretty good. I don't buy junk, don't eat much junk... then it happens, I'm at the grocery store, thinking..."I deserve a treat", after all I don't have a weight problem, never have, why shouldn't I indulge??? Don't get me wrong... I think the occasional treat is fine, but once I have some, I can't seem to stop eating until it is all gone. I will slowly munch on candy & chocolate until it completely disappears. Very little will power.

I'm trying to change my eating habits for myself and the little ones. I want to be around a long time, so I can return the favor and torture them when I'm old! =) Just kidding. The worst part for me is Noah is following in my footsteps. He constantly asks for 'sugar snacks', and thinks whenever we are out and about, someone needs to buy him a treat. It's tough, because every where we go, there seem to be those darn little candy machines that only require a quarter. I say 'NO', then I have to listen to all sorts of whining and negotiations. I've gotten good at taking healthy snacks with us, and not buying junk! Except... when I go to the grocery store! OHH my weakness. Make every bite count, is what goes through my mind every time I eat or prepare food. Bella is nursing, and she depends on me to provide her with essential nutrients.

In an effort to eat better, I prepare snacks for myself that I can munch on during the day. I'm not a 3 meals a day kinda gal, I prefer to graze all day long! I chop fruit and veggies, get some dips ready, cut some cheese, have healthy crackers and nuts available. That way when I'm hanging out with Bella and want to 'snack', I can go to the kitchen, grab a handful of goodness, and munch/crunch on it while hanging with Bella. I need to get back into the habit of baking. I think that would help round out my snacking.

Noah is reluctant to eat healthy, thanks to me! I have noticed if I bake something healthy, or just leave some chopped items on the table, he too will walk by and grab something to munch on. What are your tricks/tips on eating better? Have a favorite recipe you'd like to share? I'm always up for something new.

3 comments:

Marci said...

I just got back from the store, just to buy lunch meat and baby food, and on my way out I was on the search for my treat and went to a register just because they had candy there. So yes I too am in the same boat!

Heather said...

I'm also there with you Eva, a junk food junkie! I can't just have one, whether it's a piece of cake, a bowl of ice cream or chocolate (my weakness) My justification is that I have to get rid of it and I get rid of it alright, right to my tummy. In fact on my way home today while the girls were sleeping and the boys were at the movies with dad, I went to the drive thru and 'treated' myself to a 'slush float' I thought, "perfect, I don't have to share and I can enjoy my treat in peace".....I know that I deserve a treat once in awhile, maybe not ALL the time.

Rachel said...

Oh Eva, sugar is so addictive, I know! I'm not nearly as disciplined now as I was when we were planning to conceive, but my phrase then was rather militant: If it's not health giving, it's health destroying! I kind of forget that now, because I feel like I deserve some sort of sweetness at night when Oliver's in bed and I can relax a little. I've decided that if I'm going to have something sweet, it's going to at least be "quality"-- so I will buy one good organic chocolate bar a month and Chad and I will have little pieces from time to time. Baking your own is a good thing too-- at least you know what is in it! I will email you my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe. Warning, though-- they'll increase your milk supply if you eat them all day long!