Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rainy Spring

I've been postponing planting our garden. Yes, we are now in Hawaii and for the most part it is warm throughout the year. So why not plant any old time? I'm nervous. It's rains quite a bit around here, which is a good thing, but this is not a nice gentle rain. It will be sunny one minute, then suddenly we are faced with a torrential downpour! Man does it come down hard. In an effort to not drown my seedlings, I've decided to wait just a wee bit longer. Maybe till mid or late April.

I've been very antsy about this whole planting thing, (must be all the gardening catalogs) so I planted a few papaya seeds, my potatoes (which were bought from the health food store, it seems only sweet potatoes are grown here. We'll see if these grow.) and some almost dead lemon grass from a friends neighbor. Heather makes the most amazing lemon grass tea, so her son pulled a plant for us to take home and plant but I waited too long and it pretty much died. I trimmed it back and planted it with hopes that it will revive itself! See below... pathetic I know!


lemon grass before planting


White pineapple planted back in October


Bella and Noah with Chickens.
The kids are still crazy for the chickens. These poor gals get chased around the yard constantly. It's amazing that in about 4 short months... they older girls should be laying! Noah has become quite good at catching them, and is working on taming the less friendly ones.

Last night I made a long list of things I'd like to grow and shared it with Jaime. He basically laughed and said he wonders where am I going to plant all of these things? He has a good point... I may have to turn over more of the yard. I think my biggest hang up has been switching over to a tropical garden. Most of my left over seeds are for things that enjoy Seattle's much cooler climate. I'm very excited to try melons, peppers, and eggplant. I may even try to grow some peanuts! There are so many heat loving plants... the switch over shouldn't be to difficult.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sure that after all the rain you will have a bountiful garden, cant wait to watch it grow...this time I can witness your green thumb! And your chickens...their beautiful too..and the kids of course!

Sparrow said...

I love that you have CHICKENS!! So so cool. :)

Paul Gardener said...

I so want to plant some lemon grass. I have an asian family that lives across the street from me and they grow some almost every year. Maybe this year I'll take a cutting from them.
Good luck with yours!
P~

jill said...

Hi Ms. Eva,
I found your blog through google; I was just searching for more information on Hilo, and your blog came up. I am applying to University of Hilo College of Pharmacy, and I just wanted to ask if you would be so kind to e-mail me back with your own description of what life in Hilo is like. My e-mail is jillvillarosa@yahoo.com. Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Jill