Saturday, June 7, 2008

Peeling back the layers of time

Literally.
One side of my bedroom wall had textured wallpaper, which was damaged when our roof leaked a couple of years back. The bald spot has been covered by a fish patch quilt given to Bella when she was born. Today I decided to strip all of the old wallpaper so I can paint it and get rid of my lavender walls. I've never really liked them. It's just not my color.

After patiently removing the first layer of wallpaper I discovered, to my surprise... another layer of wallpaper. Not sure why this was a surprise, I think it's quite common to find several layers when removing wallpaper in an old home. Lucky for me, there where ONLY two layers. I don't think I could have handled another. Under my lavender textured walls, I found brown and white flowers, all over the wall.
Interesting. As I peeled back this second layer, there were also several strands of hair. Gross I know... but I couldn't help but think of the person, whoever he or she was, that took the time to put up this interesting wallpaper. How old is this person now? Where is she/he? I really wonder what year it dates back to. It smelled of old smoke. Amazing how old wallpaper can absorb and hold on to a smell for so long. Then again, I seem to have this keen sense of smell. No one else could smell it.
Peeling away a bit of history, and creating a bit of our own.
Now... what color should I paint the room???
Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Maybe that new baby blue color and you can do accents of brown with pillows, comforter, curtains even your furniture....

Anonymous said...

I have no color suggestions, but how fascinating, that little peeling back through layers of time in your old house!